If you have ever had the pleasure of receiving a hot stone massage you are familiar with the intense feeling of relaxation that it elicits. But are you aware that there are long term, lasting benefits of hot stone massage?
Some of the medicinal benefits of hot stone massage include:
- Relief from pain associated with arthritis, carpal tunnel syndrome, fibromyalgia, and other chronic conditions
- Increases range of motion and flexibility in joints
- Diminishes chronic tension and stress and promotes calmness and relaxation
- Reduces muscle spasms, tension created by strained or contracted muscles, and soothes pain
- Lymphatic drainage and cleansing
- Decongestion of the liver by relaxing ducts
- Relaxes colon for better elimination
- Detoxifies the blood
- Helps with hydrating and flushing cells
- Improves circulation and help rid the body of toxins
A hot stone massage combines thermotherapy (heat therapy) with a variety massage techniques to provide an effective healing treatment. The use of natural basalt stones in conjunction with massage uses powerful earth energies to help the patient heal. Sometimes cold stones, typically marble, are used in conjunction with hot stones. The hot and cold combination further increases circulation and speeds the injury recovery process.
For those who have not yet indulged in the experience of a hot stone massage; it consists of both warm and hot stones that are heated between120 to 140 degrees F prior to being applied to the body. The placement of heated stones on a particular area of the body increases the circulation of fluids, can assist in alleviating organ congestion, and may even dissolve adhesions. Sounds good?
It gets better:
It gets better:
While the placement stones melt away tension and stress, the therapist will coat additional hot stones with oil and use them as massage implements. Using a variety of massage strokes and pressures, the therapist will work the stones into the muscles and soft tissues of the body. The firmness of the stone couples nicely with the heat to enhance the therapeutic benefits of the massage. The heat and energy from the stones penetrate deep into the muscles to achieve a soothing and therapeutic experience. When used with specific techniques, the penetrating effects of the heated stones allow the therapist to deliver massage and release tight muscle restrictions more efficiently without the use of excessive pressure which results in less discomfort for the client.
When to check with your health care provider
If you are pregnant or have a medical condition, check with your doctor to make sure that hot stone massage therapy is right for you.
Contraindications for hot stone massage are:
• Severe Anorexia
• Severe high blood pressure not medically controlled
• Liver & kidney disorders or conditions
• Cardiac conditions; arrhythmia
• Cardiac patients
• Extreme dilated varicose veins
• Extreme dermatitis; eczema, acne, psoriasis
• Ulceration, and wounds
• Neuropathy; usually associated with Diabetes
• Epilepsy; increased body temp may trigger a seizure
• Peripheral Vascular Disease
• Acute Inflammation
• Anyone on medications that have side effects to heat
• Epstein Barr
• Clients with burns
• Open cuts, wounds, sores, abrasions and bleeding
• Shingles/herpes or acute skin condition
• Acute Fever
If you are feeling run down physically or mentally, a hot stone massage may be just what you need to reduce anxiety, restore your body, promote tranquility and revitalize your energy and spirit. Contact me to schedule your customized Hot Stone Massage today!